- YPD media
- Vial and cap
- air filters
- stir bar
- Add the stir bar to a clean, empty Pioreactor vial.
- Add ~1/8 tsp of YPD to the vial.
- Add water until just over 3/4 full (about 14mL). The water can be from any source (tap, bottled, distilled, etc.)
- Attach the air filters to the cap. Attach the cap onto the vial.
- Wipe off any extra water on the side and bottom of vial.
- Place directly on stove, and turn stove onto medium-high heat.
- If using an induction stove, you can place the vial in a dry pan
- As the vial heats up, any clumps of YPD should start to dissolve. You may need to give it a slight shake, careful as it's hot.
- The liquid will come to a boil after a few minutes.
- Once the liquid in the vial has come to a boil, carefully remove it from the stove by picking it up from the air filters. (Note: too much exposure to heat will destroy the sugars in the YPD, so we want to avoid keeping it hot for too long).
- Let cool. After a few minutes, you can put it in a dish of cool water to speed up the cooling.
- Once near room temperature (at most only slightly warm to the touch), add a very small amount of yeast. If using dried yeast, give in a few minutes to dissolve with some gentle rocking.
- Give the outside glass a wipe to remove any fingerprints and debris. You can now add the vial to the Pioreactor.